Signing up for Google Suite or a Gmail Address
If you are from an organisation that already has their email and/or files hosted with G-Suite (i.e. emails are sent as email@example.com or similar), you will need to speak to your organisation's IT department about getting an account. Naturally, from a security perspective, no one else can do this for you once it has been set up. If you've been left in the lurch from a rogue agent, we can work on your behalf with Google in getting your accounts back.
If you are the person responsible for administering email in your organisation and you want to have your email hosted on Google, please feel free to drop us an email and we can have you up and running within a short period.
If you are a private individual who simply wants a free Gmail address, you can sign up using the following steps:
- Go to the Google Account creation page.
- You will be prompted to provide the details relevant to you. It is important that you enter correct information otherwise you may end up being in the position where Google suspends your account.
You should also make sure that you select the location that supports the best privacy rules - we suggest English (United Kingdom).
- Choose the blue Next button below.
- You will be prompted to confirm a method of communication. This is in an effort to curb illegal activities that may be perpetrated using this new account as well as the other reasons mentioned at Google's relevant support page.
Again, it is important that you enter correct information otherwise you may end up being in the position where Google suspends your account. You may also need to confirm these details at a later point if your account gets suspended.
- Next, you will be prompted to verify your phone number. Choose the blue Send button below and wait for a text message (SMS) to arrive and enter the number in the box provided.
- Next, you will be asked if you want to use this number across a number of services. We would suggest that you choose More options and then select Add my number for account security only.
- Depending on your activity on the previous screen, choose the blue Done or Yes, I'm in button on the bottom right.
- At the Privacy and Terms screen, make sure that either you read everything or, at the very least, that understand that by using these services the data you send/receive/create using your Google account is not really yours and, with Google being headquartered in the USA, is subject to laws in the USA (and/or the country in which you reside).
It's also important to note that, particularly in Europe, you have the ability to irrevocably delete this data and/or download a copy of your data in common data formats as needed.
Select the blue I agree button at the bottom of the screen.
- You're now done creating your account. You can use this new account to send/receive emails, create documents with Google's office suite and share them with others.
It is important to note that there are several storage limits imposed on these free accounts (a maximum of 15GB). While you can sign up for additional storage, it is a significantly better experience using the paid-for version of the Google Suite.