Setting up your new (or factory reset) Android device
Most Android devices will be very similar in getting set up, however, the general gist is as follows:
- From the welcome screen, click GET STARTED
- If you haven’t already inserted a SIM card, you’ll get prompted to install one (or you can tap on SKIP)
- On the “Setup your [phone] screen”, click on “Setup as a new phone”
- You will be prompted to join a WiFi network, it’s a good idea to do so in order to limit your cellular data usage. This may take a few moments while it gets the details of your network.
- Click Next
- You will likely then be prompted to run any device updates. Again, this is a good idea to do.
- The next screen will give you options to opt into (or out of) various Google services, review these as needed, or choose the defaults and click Next. From a privacy perspective, we would suggest opting out of any options that say “send anonymous data to Google”.
- Next, you will be prompted to protect your phone with a pattern, PIN or a password. Choose the option which best suits you.
- Review the options on the Additional settings screen (it may be called “Anything else?”) or tap on “Set up later”.
- At this point, the device will be set up, but you will likely be presented with a welcome wizard which will tell you how to use your device.