Enabling Age-Based Services in Google Workspace for Education
Age-based Access Setting
- Teachers and Staff: Starting today, Teachers and Staff in organisational units or groups that you did not indicate as 18 and older will begin to lose access to aspects of Additional Google services (e.g. teaching content created on YouTube) or lose access to some services entirely. Even if this happens, you can still indicate these users as 18 and older using the age-based access setting, reversing the age-based default setting. However, these users still may not be able to retrieve access to certain content (e.g. comments on any YouTube channels they own).
- Under-18 user restrictions: Starting today, these users will begin to lose access to some Additional Google Services. See the list of restrictions and services that will no longer be available for users under 18.
- Google Services without an individual on/off control: Starting today, Google services without an individual on/off control will be unavailable for users indicated as under 18.
- Under-18 users’ data may be deleted for any additional service they have lost access to: After 1 September 2021, data that your users have lost access to may be deleted. Learn more about all the restrictions and services that will no longer be available for users under 18. Services may also contact end-users directly regarding changes in their access to the service.
Turning YouTube Off
Starting1 September 2021, if you have set YouTube to "Off" in the Admin Console for your organisation, a Group or an Organisational Unit (OU), no user of any age in that Group or OU will be able to access YouTube.com or YouTube apps when signed in with their Workspace for Education account.
- Users that have YouTube set to “Off” will still be able to view embedded YouTube videos assigned in Workspace for Education products (including Classroom). And all users can continue to link and preview videos in Docs.
- If teachers in your organisation rely on sharing YouTube videos in Classroom and other Workspace products like Slides or Forms, you should enable the YouTube service for those teachers so they can continue to embed videos. Learn more on how to turn YouTube on/off for users.
What do I need to do?
Can you just do this for me?
Age-Based Access Setting
- Go to the Admin Console.
- Under “Accounts” > “Account Settings”, go to the "Age-based access” setting.
- For each organisational unit or group on the left-hand side, indicate whether the organisational unit or group contains users above the age of 18.
- Select "All users are 18 or older" for organisational units that contain teachers and staff over the age of 18. Learn more about how to set age-based access to Additional Google services.
- Starting today, all users for whom a selection was not made (including teachers, staff) in K-12 domains will default to the under-18 experience. This means that they will have restricted access to additional Google services and will no longer be able to access services without on/off controls.
- Once completing the steps above, we’d also recommend verifying your school type designation in the Admin Console to ensure that it is correct.
We’re here to help
For technical questions and assistance, please contact our support desk.
For compliance and data protection related questions, sign in to the Admin Console to contact Google’s Cloud Data Protection Team (using the form under ‘Account settings > Legal & Compliance’, reference issue number 188088298 in the field ‘Description’).
If parents and guardians have additional questions and want to contact Google directly, they can reach out to Google through this contact form.